Core Ab Workouts
Is your body fit and ready for the summer? We all want the perfect six pack abs for the summertime pool parties and the days at the beach. Don't wait till the snow starts to melt to get in shape because it will be too late. You NEED to put the work in now!
For this week we have want to make the workout about the core to help you get ready for the summer. The Plank exercise is an isometric that can get you past strength training plateaus and improve energy transference between your upper body and lower body. You can do this workout at home or in the gym before you start your training session. It is one of the best workouts you can do to strengthen your core and they can be done in many variations ranging in difficulty levels.
- Place your forearms on the ground with the elbows aligned below the shoulders and arms are parallel to the body about width distance.
- Maintain a straight back while contracting your core abdomen. It is important to keep your neck and spine neutral.
- For beginners hold this position for 30 seconds and work your time up as your core gets stronger.
- The Side Plank is a much more advanced but it is of the same concept as the Standard Plank.
- From a standard plank position keep one elbow directly underneath your shoulder, aligned with one another.
- Only your forearm along with your feet for stability should be supporting your weight. Your forearm should be pointed perpendicular to your body.
Advanced Plank Positions
You can always add a medicine ball to the any of the plank exercises to increase the difficulty of the exercise. See Sean Lundy demonstrating this below.
Consult your physician before attempting these workouts.